Education and training
Encourage its affiliates to participate in the global campaigns for the achievement of education for all through appropriate structures to ensure that the national plan for EFA is ready by the target date. Align itself with all programmes aimed at achieving literacy for all within the framework of Dakar 2000.
CONSAWU’s Principles and policies
- Progressive national and international solidarity.
- Accountability at all levels.
- Well informed unity.
- Workers are human beings with identity and dignity.
- Non alignment to any political party or employer both in public and private sector.
- Independent trade union action.
- Participatory democracy at the level of decision making.
- Justice for all working men and women.
- Non discriminatory workplaces.
- Promote discussion on economic policies.
- Ensure that Government embarks on genuine home grown macro-economic and human resources development policies that take into account poverty eradication.
- Monitor Government with regard to state Enterprises.
- Uphold the Constitution of South Africa.
- Uphold and respect CONSAWU Constitution.
- Provide access where this is denied
- Minimum leaving wage in all sectors.
- Decent jobs for all.
- No Casual Labour.
- Basic human respect for all working men and women.
- Sustainable Human development.
- Quality and effective social dialogue.
- Fully paid maternity leave.
- Conditions of service for workers in sub contract employment, must be equal to those of permanent workers.
CONSAWU has conducted a number of projects with its affiliate organisations those projects includes:
- Research on poverty levels.
- Training of trade union leaders.
- Taking care of jobs of members.
- True and honest protection of members rights and interests.
- Campaign for a comprehensive social grant for all economically active unemployed.
- Reinforce better trade union awareness.
- Awareness about informal sector workers
- Research and report on the impact of restructuring in the private and public sector.
- Publicise restructuring experience.
- Develop composite trade union response to restructuring which must be without any job loss.
- Develop proposals on better dispute resolution mechanism.